Thursday, April 10, 2014

Re-branding? Yes or no?

That is my question! While I am getting settled into my new city and new surroundings I have started to wonder where will my photography take me? Or better yet, where should I take it? Starting a business all over in a new city is definitely challenging in many ways but mostly I have found my self looking into my brand .. my style .. my look ... my future.

This shouldn't be a big surprise to me personally because I normally take time to reevaluate things and ultimately re-do my website every 2 or 3 years. Showing a different look on the internet isn't so much a marketing strategy to get more business (although that never hurts!) but rather it's to show my movement and evolution as an artist. As I sit and ponder where my camera has taken me I find my self referring to a quote by comedian Bill Hicks,

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

To me that means that no one else can evolve for us. We make our own journey .. our own future. Think about it. Consider the person you were back in high school .. in college. Are you the same? Would you WANT to be the same? Hopefully your answers are a resounding 'Heck NO!'

Without a doubt I am grateful for the photographer that I was in the past, for without that person I would not be the artist I am today. But what I think is even more important is that we should never stop considering the person that is to be in our future. Questions come to mind like "Do I like who I see in the future? Would I really want to get to know that person? Am I better for knowing them?" 
If while answering these questions I possibly hear a No coming then it's time to reevaluate .. again.

Considering my photography business in this way helps me to better understand my vision through the lens. It helps me gain insight on how I can better ad value and importance to my clients. Both professionally and personally. It is becoming more and more obvious that the person behind the camera is ultimately more important to my clients. There are so many other photographers saturating the market these days (some good, some still honing their skill sets) that a persons' decision making on choosing the one for them ultimately comes down to the person behind the magic. When you put aside price, when you put aside package sizes, when you put aside CDs or not-to Cds, what does a valued customer look for? What to do they mean to me as a client?

And that is where all of this self evaluation leads to. How is that artist in the future better than the one I see standing in front of the mirror today?

Where is all of this going to? Well, in a word .. re branding. Ok, so that's actually two words but you get my meaning. As I challenge myself to push myself to become better I implore my readers to do the same. Look within yourself & your art and ask those hard and digging questions. Then when you have begun to answer them to yourself, don't just bottle it in .. SHARE it with us! After all, I'd love for our future selves to eventually meet and possibly talk about the days of old!

E.

No comments: